*Raid SP* Late blind raid partial results (need +1 tonight!) (Destiny)

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, October 06, 2016, 14:05 (2814 days ago)

Thanks to Dogcow for getting everyone's schedule together!

(We will need 1 more for tonight, 8 PM Pacific time. It's fine if you know what to do, but please don't tell the rest of us! ;) )

We had a good time in the raid. It was tough as I think our highest LL person was 367. Most of us were just above 360.

The now traditional "opening of the raid door" was quite fun this go around. We had a few funny deaths right at first with the expiration of the charges and I was standing behind the boss when he showed up. We ended up having 3 (maybe 4?) people running charges and 2-3 shooting charge eaters which seemed to work well. Pretty messy and I'll be happy to try that again a couple of times to get some better routes for collecting charges.

After we opened the door it was as expected -- jumping puzzles, though a bit milder than the tomb ships and bells of king's fall. I really liked in both hallway sections we went through that there were multiple ways through. Likely some secrets waiting around for us to get to.

Quickly we ended up at the first real fight. Learning this boss fight was an interesting process. We tried both simultaneously throwing the SIVA charges and staggering them. After some trial and error (and looking at the death screen a number of times) we realized that the first charge hit his shield and the next two did 107k damage to him. Great! Then we started trying to figure out the pattern of the rooms. This was the most annoying part I think -- that the rooms were really random, but unable to be used again. Especially at this point, when we didn't understand the monitors mechanic, we used up all four rooms just to get his shields down, then were confused as to what to do when his shields reset and we had no rooms left. And that anytime we managed to hit the monitors behind him they all said "Immune". I think it was Dogcow or Vortech who first saw the monitor light up and manage to break it. This was the last, painful key, but once we got that down (and learned about the captains) it was a matter of execution. I think it took us 4-5 attempts from that point before it totally clicked and then was suddenly smooth.

Callouts were key, I don't know how we'd do this fight without them. In particular, monitor callouts were the big one, we'd all get to trying to survive the boss attacks and adds (sometimes with captains) while still having to pay attention to the monitors. Once we started trying to say "watch the monitors" after the volley of charges it went much smoother -- people helped each other (okay me) when callouts didn't happen.

We ended up with a rotation something like this:

- throw bombs
- watch and kill monitors
- throw bombs
- watch monitors
- throw bombs
- kill captains
- watch monitors
- throw bombs
- DPS the boss
- call out a room, (prefer right room if available, then left, then right, then left).
- repeat

It was definitely a harder than expected fight that felt a little oryx-ridiculous for a while as far as coordination and needing to be perfect. Once we figured out the monitors it was still hard but made a lot more sense. It's a high cognitive awareness fight. No one thing is "hard", but juggling them all, at least for me, was very difficult. I was the charge thrower in the middle and it was frustrating having to additionally try and time throwing the charge around the dregs dropping often right on the charge there -- I hit the dropping adds more than just once or twice.

The path forwards from here was fun. The break-away floors got a few people. =) I liked again that there were multiple routes through the area, not just a single jump here, here, and here only.

We stopped soon after we got to the mace wielding zamboni. We'll start there tonight, looking for a way past it and heading down...

Overall I like it so far. I expect we are about halfway through the raid, and look forward to the last boss (and whatever happens to be between them and us at this point... the quest has 3 checkboxes, we're at #2 though!)

Also, please no spoilers for the rest of the raid in this thread. =)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread