*Raid SP* Late blind raid partial results (need +1 tonight!) (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 06, 2016, 16:31 (2809 days ago) @ dogcow

We found out about the monitors by accident because I wiffed my charge really badly.

We figured it out very quickly by simply looking at the score screen.

We had noticed them on the score screen early on, but that got put on the backburner while we figured out other mechanics. Then we kinda forgot about them. After figuring out the rest of the mechanics I re-noticed the monitors column on the score screen and started paying attention to them.

My first raid group figured out the screens almost instantly, but we banged our heads against the encounter for almost 2 solid hours without even noticing the safe rooms on the sides lol

Munky eventually broke down and told us about them XD

That's funny. We noticed the safe rooms relatively soon. It's fun hearing the different ways people come up with to defeat the encounters and what aspects they've struggled with.

That's the most fascinating part of blind raiding, to me - we all have to end up at the same place, in the end (well, close to the same place - Golgoroth proved that even after techniques were well-known, there might be multiple techniques to solving the problem), but each blind group is made up of 6 individuals who all bring their own way of thinking to the table. I LOVE that something that was totally obvious to one group made another group struggle for a while, while that second group had no problems at all with a second mechanic that stumped the first one.

And I love that Xenos found the way of interacting with the monitors by screwing up something else we already knew how to do. Lots of good discoveries in history were mistakes (penicillin, crazy glue) - blind raids allow people to suggest all manner of idiotic ideas, because some percentage of them turn out to be exactly what was needed.

There are definitely people (or groups of people) who never struggle with any of this stuff - they can walk into a new situation, size it up immediately, and just get to work on the mechanics, because the implementation is obvious to them. In some ways, I actually feel sorry for these people - because the joy of discovery after banging your head against a wall is way the hell better than just being right all the time.

I'm still gonna enjoy getting the mechanics down, though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread