Maybe I'll have to try TF2 on sale (Gaming)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, October 31, 2016, 16:33 (2738 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Pyromancy, Monday, October 31, 2016, 16:37

Just curious here... what were you expecting from the first Titanfall? I always felt like they did a good job of communicating the fact that Titanfall 1 was a competitive multiplayer game. All the coverage I read was quite up front about the fact that the "campaign" was just PvP matches with some plot/VO added in.

That's what I was thinking as well. I thought it was abundantly clear exactly what Titanfall 1 was.

I'm glad to hear TF2 has a good campaign. Jeff Gerstmann really seemed to enjoy it as well, and I find my opinions lining up with his pretty often, so my interest is definitely piqued. I'm planning on Redboxing Battlefield 1 just to play the campaign--I think I'll have to do the same for Titanfall 2 now. If I can pull myself away from Civilization 6 . . .

I guess I'm just not as "plugged in" as you guys are. I'm not one that reads videogame "journalism" anymore or seek out any extra coverage on youtube/podcast.

It appeared from announcement/E3? to be a creative, new, exclusive "AAA" franchise, that was going to be the "next big thing". Micro$oft had pumped the release so much.
You'd expect some semblance of a plot or story, when it was allegedly supposed to have a campaign on the disc.
If it was sold explicitly as PvP only, and the price point was lowered a bit, and the "campaign" was added strictly as a bonus I would probably have been happy with the release (or I might not have purchased it at all)

It wasn't abundantly clear if I was absolutely shocked and disgusted, on first playthrough, on release day. I forget the awful details, but it was extra frustrating because half of the "campaign" was playing the same exact missions from the opposition's perspective, or in reverse, or with different ambient surroundings, or time traveled, I can't recall. The poster child for lazy development, by reusing identical assets and calling it a different level/new story mission. It was short to begin with, and then if you throw out the re-used levels/assets then you can cut it in half again.

Maybe I'll have to try Titanfall 2 on sale, or try the Redbox route as I have never done that before (didn't know it was a thing)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread