If Destiny 2 had episodic content (ramblings) (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, May 21, 2017, 17:26 (2555 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Does anyone recall Spartan Ops from Halo 4?

Anytime that someone mentions Spartan Ops, I can taste Mountain Dew on my breath. *shudder*
Dark times in my life.

Content wise it wasn't very good or memorable, but the concept was interesting. What it was, is a new story mission to download once a week for about 8 weeks (I think). After that, you could play the content as you saw fit.

They did that for the Age of Triumph raids. I loved it, personally, though some people whined about the trickle of content.

After the raids launched, you could play the 390 version at any time, so you have tons of ways to go up in Light level. Some folks (like me) look forward to doing the Weekly challenges every once in a while, while some weirder folks just prefer to run the same exact raid week after week.
For the most part, it has put choice in the hands of the players, while providing incentive to do a particular activity. A great balance.

Whenever a new expansion launched for Destiny, there is a mad scramble by some of you lunatics to rush-rush-rush to level up and do the Raid or whatever the end thing is. Frankly, I think that's boring and short sighted. You don't savor the content. Then you feel empty. If you have the time to do that, and you want to, more power to you. Most of us don't have that time. I am that 50% that didn't do the Raids. I only ever finished VoG and Crota.

Netflix.
There are two kinds of people with netflix

1.) The kind that binge a series in a weekend (stranger things, for example)
2.) The kind that stagger it out on their own or that are forced to wait for the next episode.

If Destiny 2 had content or DLC that was like that, I think it would be better overall for the life of the game. Destiny already does a lot to artificially throttle players anyway... why not be upfront about it with this?

This is a great business model that Digital Extremes uses for Warframe. In between major story content, there are smaller quest lines released periodically that help flesh out each of the Factions, or they introduce new characters that will be important later. And between those smaller quests, they release a steady stream of new content, such as new weapons, Warframes, cosmetics, etc. And in between everything, they have unique events that often have a permanent impact on the game world, or that experiment with new gametypes so that the devs can build data or feedback for later content. There's always some reason to keep coming back without feeling like you need to.

Imagine if we first met Eris before Crota's End. She could have shown up halfway through Queen's Wrath and interacted with the players or Petra in some way. Maybe She'd have you collect some info from Hive-based Queen's Wrath missions, while giving Fallen-based info to Petra. At some point, she might ask you to give a message to the Queen through Petra. That way, you'd see a connection between those characters.

The Hive and Wolf patrol events were an excellent example of this type of content, but they were fairly small, and ultimately held back by a lot of Destiny's early design flaws (such as terrible Treasure Key drop rates).

It would be nice to have mini-questlines handed out to you by the world's characters in order to help flesh them out (House of Wolves was essentially just this for Petra and Varyks).. Maybe this way, folks wouldn't feel like the characters are just flat and one-dimensional.

I know there are some of you that knee-jerk reaction to this and say "NO, I PAID FOR THIS CONTENT AND I WANT IT NOW F-YOU" and you are not wrong to say that, but maybe it would be better long term.

Those folks are whiny entitled babies, and I like that devs don't just give in to their whims.

IDK, just musing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread