Man, Sony's been killin' it with these sales... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 30, 2017, 09:13 (2502 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Shadow of Mordor: GOTY ($3.99):
$4 for one of the best games of 2015 and all of the DLC? Heck, I'm probably going to re-buy it just to snag some of the DLC bits that I didn't buy the first time around... I've told you all why it's great, and like I said, games are already copying the Nemesis system. And did I mention how incredible the sequel looks?

Of all the over-hyped mediocre games, this one really takes the cake. If it wasn't for the Nemesis system (which, while pretty interesting, was also over-hyped, and not all that interesting past a few hours into the game), this game would be almost totally worthless. I'll admit I'm a little bitter, because this thing takes the biggest shit all over Tolkien's legendarium. It literally makes absolutely no sense in the context of Tolkien's work. It's clear to me that the devs don't actually give a shit about Lord of the Rings, and merely slapped the license over the top of whatever they were already working on, and it absolutely killed my interest in the game very quickly.

That said, the game would be pretty mediocre without all that baggage. A bland, ugly world with basically no interesting things to do, with Akrham combat thrown on top. Get used to that parry button, folks!

$4 is about what this game is worth.

It's okay to be wrong, cheap. :P

I've never been a purist, so the liberties that they take with the Tolkienverse are fine to me (especially since they do incorporate a significant lore character, which I won't spoil here). Sammy's more into Lord of the Rings than I am, and she loved it.

Sure, the gameplay's not particularly difficult, but I think of it as one of those sanbox games, where upgrading and using different abilities is where the most fun lies. Sure, you can get pretty far before you run into enemies that punish you for trying to parry, but isn't that true for pretty much any RPG?

Ratchet & Clank ($7.99):
Before we get their fantastic-looking Spiderman game later this year, you can check out Insomniac's remake of the first Ratchet & Clank. Remake is a bit of a loose term, since they completely remade the game from scratch, making some drastic changes to the original in order to keep up with the times. And it's an effort that paid off, so give this game a go!

I'm definitely going to pick this up. I never played the original games, but this looks like a pretty fun, casual experience. It just got lost in the shuffle last year and never made it into my cart.

It's one of my favorite "remakes". Insomniac took their original game that started a successful franchise, and decided that rather than just improving the graphics and textures a bit, they were going to overhaul the entire experience to match their latest games. Improved story, pacing, dialogue, gameplay, and storytelling... It's got it all.

I'm nearly finished with Wolfenstein, which really is as good as everyone says, despite the terrible opening. The gameplay is more interesting and fun that I thought at first, and the story has me hooked.

The opening was intended to be a throwback to the old Wolfensteins, but it does totally start the actual game on the wrong foot. Maybe it's simply too long. Anyway, hope to hear your thoughts once you do finish it!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread