So is Zelda! (Absolutely 100% OT) (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 09:25 (2497 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Rather than cluttering up the forum with another thread, I'll hijack Korny's to talk about another non-Destiny game.

Hey, keeping things contained within a relevant thread (in this case, OT games) is great. I wish more folks did that.

I finally found a Switch! Drove an hour to a small little town that had three. It's totally worth the hype. It's a really cool machine, which is the first time I've ever said that about a Nintendo product.

I got to play around with my cousin's. It's neat, despite the terrible controller(s?). We played a minigame collection, mostly, but it was fun. Not $300 worth of fun, but some neat gimmicky fun.

And Zelda is truly incredible. I'm just now getting off the Plateau, and I can't wait to explore this game! If Zelda is the only thing I ever play on my Switch, it'll have been worth the purchase.

I wish I could get into Zelda games. They're just incredibly boring to me, and the new one looked no better (collection quests and grinding galore). I always play a few hours, but they never really add much to them. They never feel like more than a kid's entry-level RPG, which I guess they really are... Though the new one seems to have Kojima levels of small touches, which is always nice.

Hopefully Nintendo will actually support this thing and that won't be the case. If they let this thing truly replace the 3DS and consolidate development efforts onto the Switch, it could truly turn into one of the greatest platforms. I loved my 3DS, and there are some absolute gems on that platform, but I'm eager to see those sorts of games on the Switch with higher fidelity.

I'd tone down those expectations. Nintendo will fully support the 3DS for at least another two years, keeping the two markets separate. According to this actual article that I link to:

"We say that it’s a home console that you take with you and play with anyone, anywhere, anytime. It really is meant to deliver that great home console performance, you just happen to be able to undock it and take it with you, which is a key innovation," Fils-Aime said. "But look, in the end, what we want is we want the consumer to call it their device, right? Their preferred gaming device that they can play fantastic Zelda, Mario, third-party content, all of their favorite franchises brought to life on the platform. That’s what we want. And we’re greedy and we want Nintendo 3DS right alongside it."

That said, Gamefreak is reportedly developing a core Pokemon game for the Switch, so who knows? By the time Nintendo starts seeing it as a successor to the 3DS, they'll likely have a price drop or something to make it worthwhile, especially since simple stuff like voice chat is a mess right now...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread