But that's not all...! (Destiny)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 00:04 (2413 days ago) @ slycrel
edited by Pyromancy, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 00:17

Most of the time with patches I have this problem. I don't re-jigger my connection, I don't do anything to try and speed it up or move things along. Long ago I used to pause and resume the updates (i.e. when I had multiple game updates at once), but I stopped because I heard that could cause issues. Probably 2 years ago I stopped doing that.

Today I started up my ps4 (pro, with plenty of HDD space) and destiny 2 was the last app that I had been using. It re-started to a screen that was verifying the update or somesuch. It was already > 50%. It got to 63% and then declared it needed to download 4.75 gigs. I was disappointed because I had gotten off work early today and was excited to play some more. I ended up waiting almost 45 minutes for the update.

If it's a connection thing there's not much I can do about that -- I don't have the bottom tier of internet from comcast and I don't seem to have noticeable issues with connections anywhere but destiny updates.

I am also a programmer and would like to think I have a general idea of how these things work and what I might avoid to cause problems.

So as much as I'm all about saying "don't be dumb and mess it up" there is, at least in my case, clearly something else going on here.

I hear ya buddy (and I mean that sincerely as a friend and not as a patronizing, pat-on-the-head, brush off response)

If it restarted to the download that was already at 50% did the machine get shut off prior while beginning the download and it was picking up where it left off? I would guess that could qualify as 'interrupting the download' and make you re-download the title. Maybe downloads can start prior to log in or before fully starting up and sending you to the 'home page'?
(I don't use sleep/rest/suspended mode. I close all applications and games also always fully power off and keep background/automatic downloads/updates turned off unless there is a rare occasion where a big download is scheduled during the work day or I have an extended time away)

Were you downloading very shortly after the servers went back up? I wonder if the early birds ended up with corrupted downloads. Here is an interesting unsubstantiated rumor: Sony screwed up the Licenses for some and those effected had to take the larger download?

When it comes to Sony, using a programming mind or even common sense will not always work. I was reading an interesting article recently about why their downloads are so slow. It doesn't all make technical sense to me, maybe you can better make heads or tails of it. Sony's server structure and download set up and process sounds kind of crazy
https://www.snellman.net/blog/archive/2017-08-19-slow-ps4-downloads/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/522ttn/ps4_downloads_are_notoriously_slow_i_might_have/

I hate how just about every Sony system update patch notes just say in vanilla terms very generically "This system software update improves system performance."

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread