Theory about the Speaker *SPOILERS* (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 10:55 (2461 days ago) @ ManKitten

I never understood the purpose of the Speaker. He didn't do anything! He even tells Ghaul that the Traveler doesn't speak to him...so what is his purpose?

I think that Bungie, all of us and Ghaul all thought the speaker was a significant component of the Traveler but after learning more about him realized he was just a zealot, and that was the main point of the Ghaul/Speaker story line, to expose the Speaker as just some random jabrony.

Consul recognized this immediately because of his age and wisdom. He let Ghaul do his thing but eventually got tired of it and ended the game. Ghaul eventually realized it too and killed Consul as the scapegoat for essentially destroying the ideology he had based his entire campaign on. Also, Ghaul be crazy...so...logic does not apply to his actions. He wanted to convince the Speaker he was worthy so the Speaker would bestow the Traveler to him. When he found out the Speaker was a fraud, he forcefully tried to take it.

If Guardians can be resurrected over and over and over by ghosts, who were created by the Traveler, then it only makes sense that the Traveler can bring back dead people too. If the Speaker was legit, then it makes sense to me that he shows back up again somewhere.

This makes perfect sense and I hope the speaker was a fraud and never comes back. I hated that guy for exactly the reasons you laid out: He reeked of fraud. "I could tell you the stories... [but I won't]" "You saved the world from the black garden! [so here's a single mote of light]" "I never said the traveler spoke *to* me [but I heavily implied it in order to get my position of power and prestige]." Screw that guy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread