I always assumed he was more like a caretaker (Destiny)

by Durandal, Thursday, September 21, 2017, 06:45 (2469 days ago) @ ManKitten

The Speaker apparently has some Veto powers, but I always assumed he was more of a caretaker, looking after the interests of the Traveler, while the Vanguard tended to look out for humanity first. You even see this in the D2 cinematics where Zavala says that the Traveler will have to look out for itself while they save the people.

The speaker has one mission in D1, which is to rescue the Traveler's shard "Nothing is more important now".

He exiled Osiris for looking for answers as opposed to working on helping people.

It seems the Speaker is there for guidance, and his responsibility is to represent the Traveler's interests like a legal guardian rather then an in game guardian.

Given the psudo worship of the Traveler, and Ghaul's own issues, Ghaul missed this point and expected that the Speaker was some sort of chosen priest. When the speaker says he see's all Ghaul has done, I took that as he understood what kind of person Ghaul is. The Traveler doesn't react when the speaker is killed. It only reacts as Ghaul starts siphoning light to empower himself. Taking the Light theoretically should have severe repercussions, much like giving Darkness does. By Taking the light the Traveler would feel it had been found again by the Darkness, cutting it with "million knives". Causing another pulse just like what it did during the collapse.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread