PSVR Thoughts (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 10, 2017, 13:53 (2300 days ago)

People here are thinking about getting a PSVR? I tried it a bunch at the Playstation Experience.

I'm… still not really sold on VR as a whole in its current iteration.

Of all the games I played, only three really 'worked': Gran Turismo VR, Golem, and The Persistence.

Gran Turismo worked because you are stationary, and so is your avatar in game. However, while the game is completely gorgeous in 2D mode, the VR portion is a low res sloppy looking mess. It seriously is PS1 level bad. It's so blurry and there's no detail anywhere. So the gorgeous visuals of the game go away.

Golem worked, but I feel as if it were designed around the limitations of VR instead of designed to its strengths, if that makes any sense. And as a whole, the game wasn't really that much fun.

The Persistence worked and was actually a blast, but as a lasting experience I don't think it would hold up too well. It's a great party game. In a way this was the most successful VR game at the show I think.

It's not an issue of money, but really just quality… I'm not seeing anything in VR that's going to change gaming the way Mario did, or dual analog sticks did. And I'm not really seeing anything that is just really solidly good enough to justify a VR only experience. Maybe when we have 8K per eye, things like Gran Turismo will shine. But until then… it's just not a worthwhile purchase IMO.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread