Killing the Past (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 18:06 (2380 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie leadership apparently disliked the original story of Destiny so much that they were willing to throw away years worth of work and ship the mess that was Destiny 1 instead. Why wouldn't they try to kill that past, leave it all behind. You seem to be continually surprised by it, and I don't understand why.

And what we got this time with Osiris was any better? I'm surprised because they do this and it turns out just as bad!

Throwing away a story you don't like doesn't necessarily mean you have the talent or ability to make something any better. I just don't see the what they threw away and what we got as connected in any way. It's not about that at a certain point. They didn't like what it was, they got rid of it, of course they're going to distance themselves from it as much as possible, regardless of what they actually end up doing instead. That old shit is dead and gone, no coming back.

I think expecting a great story from Destiny is just a flat out mistake at this point. This story is just there to tell you where to point your gun. The lore of Destiny will always promise more than the story delivers.

Should we expect more? I dunno, maybe. It'd certainly be nice. It's also not necessary. I'm okay with Destiny ultimately being a popcorn flick.

I've got Life is Strange for that other stuff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread