The fundamental difference... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 15:05 (2364 days ago) @ Vortech

I opted out when it was first introduced, and quickly forgot about it. If you've brought this specific tab up, I may have mistaken what you were saying about it. It wasn't until Cody's "sky is falling" post here that i saw the video thumbnail and remembered that it was a thing.

But this is different from Xbox's historically intrusive ads in two big ways:

1. You can disable it when you first set up your console, so that you never see a single ad like this. If you didn't check your settings when you first set up your console, that's kind of on you, no? Sure, it sucks that it's an opt-out feature, but it's something you can control. Xbox has never given you that option.
If you've yet to do it, it takes all of 15 seconds. Settings, System, Automatic Downloads, uncheck "Featured Content". That's it.

2. It's a single tab with a game, not some irrelevant "Get a discount on shaving gel when you join the military" crap like you see on Xbox. Granted, the most recent Xbox UI updates have removed most of that from the initial home screen, with most of the ads that I saw being for an actual game, but again, you can't remove them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread