We are on the cusp of putting it aside. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 15:12 (2248 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

We could enlist a couple of ringers but that would be more reprehensible than putting it aside. We wanted to finish it together like in Wrath of the Machine.

I'd be happy to walk you through some encounter strategies sometime in a xbox live chat if you'd like - we could even visit the first encounter in the Leviathan (which is Gauntlet this week). No ringers for the the raid itself (since it'd still be up to you to execute with your group), but perhaps info and strategy from some of us might help?

-Chappy

Thank you for the offer. We watch videos as we progress. Even with media guidance and a member with more extended experience, we have come to agree it is an age related problem. Not that even older people couldn't succeed where we have failed. I figure, you can't throw just any 'old' people together for a Raid team. They all have to be at the top of their game.

If I played with a group that told themselves that every week, I'd come to believe it, too.

Honestly, DEEP, you'd be foolish not to take Chappy up on his offer. He plays the raids more than anyone I know and can explain them better, too. I try to learn from watching videos, too, but I've yet to find another resource that consistently does what Chappy does, which is present strategies that make the raid safer and easier, not just faster.

I know you've characterized comments in response to you as negative when you express the opinion that you "find the raid is too difficult." (It's rarely stated that mildly, but no matter.) What I've criticized and what I'm put off by now is your fatalism about it. You're a member in good standing here, and there are plenty of people willing to coach you, but you don't ask for help. The best person here who could help offers it, and you dismiss him. SMH.

I mean, what could it harm?

You're assuming I haven't read and even used some of Chappy's guides (I meant to put that in my reply). You are wrong. You assume we initially approached the Raid and the Lair with fatalism. You are wrong.

No, I'm not. I'm assuming you haven't played with him, which isn't the same as reading his guides. It's a whole 'nother kettle of fish when he's there and can quickly diagnose what's been holding you back.

We, as a group, discuss what is holding us back every week. I've personally coached members who wanted to quit because they were being consistently overwhelmed and their confidence was failing. We look for our own workarounds to our own unique problems. We've put plenty of time into this game and it has exceeded its value. D2 is currently bankrupt for us. We'll put more time into it when it has something to offer.

You look at videos but when someone who is essentially an expert offers to help you with your own unique problems, you refuse. That's your prerogative, I guess, but I can't relate.

I'm quite disappointed in your reply.

I was a little disappointed myself, but not too much. I've wanted to play with you and your group for years, DEEP. A part of me still wants to, but gosh, it sounds kind of miserable, and it's not because of repeated failure. I failed at Calus last week but I had a good time. Failed several nights in a row at Argos. I guess if I always failed I'd get discouraged, but not if I felt I was getting better. I'm not saying I haven't gotten discouraged playing a raid. Lord knows. Generally, though, I tend to believe it's always possible to get better and that there's probably a better strategy I don't know about yet. When I have felt like I've hit a wall, I've asked for help.

Anyway, I hope you have a breakthrough.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread