Shadow of the Colossus (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 12:09 (2264 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Is anyone getting the remake for PS4?

I will at some point. have some other obligations at the moment, but it's on the list for sure...

I never owned a PS2, so I never beat it, but I played a decent amount of it many years ago.

I had the PS2 version on PS3, then got the HD version when that came out, since I loved it so much. Should tell you something that I'm getting it yet again. :P
I've wanted to make a post about it, though, especially when talking about Destiny bosses. As Kotaku put it, "Fumito Ueda’s ethos is “design by subtraction,” and this is the ultimate expression of it so far." The gameplay and tools at your disposal are inherently very simple, but the application of those tools gets more and more complex, especially as you learn how to apply them in new-but-familiar ways to progress. It's the ultimate example of "mastery", and while the bosses are always straightforward in their encounters, figuring out how to apply what you've learned is the true challenge. Even the first Colossus is only encountered after the game leads you to figure out how to climb and manage your grip, and by the end of the game, you know what you will need to do with every tool in your arsenal, even as the game throws everything at you at once.

Last night I watched some random guy play it on Twitch for a little while. He was at the first boss and he kept falling off and he almost started crying after the third time. It makes me laugh just thinking about it now.

I don't remember what got me to play the game originally. I think I had just heard great things, and it was one of the PS2's final games, so I got it on sale. I didn't know what to expect other than an article that pointed out that you only fought bosses, and nothing else, so I was curious.

Anyways, the remake looks pretty good, graphically. What do people here think?

I think it looks gorgeous, but really, I was worried that the graphical update would damage some of the wonder that the game always made me feel. On the PS2, the Colossi were a moving part of the scenery, often stomping through the haze and fog, their movements somewhat unnatural, but alive, with dust and debris slowly falling off them, as if their bodies weren't meant to move as much as they did.

Now, they look like large character models, moving smoothly, and the dust and such looks like an effect rather than a detail, since everything is at a high framerate. Just a tiny, pointless thing that nags at me, since I've still been super hyped about it.

Also, there's a Photo Mode. 'Nuff said.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread