Somewhat relevant Strikes discussion (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 08, 2018, 20:40 (2260 days ago) @ Harmanimus

So, I find this all as interesting suggestions. Though I do think that with the root Strike experience (and your tentative expectation of how the community would handle it) anything that cuts it short is likely not the way to go.

I am interested in seeing more discussion regarding "heroic triggers" in Strikes. What if perhaps there are certain encounters that if you trigger you get a chest with some loot mid-Strike instead of just at the end? Mix that with periodic encounters with bosses through the Strikes (Omnigul also shows up a few times during her Strike) as being a more common thing - but don't have them get all their health back at the end - could lead to some very interesting strategies. You could even include triggers which make the end fight be different if they're under a certain health level.

I forgot about Omnigul. That bolded section would be neat. I guess that's sort of my issue with the way the Taniks fight plays out. With his damage threshold and immunity, it just doesn't really feel like you're accomplishing anything, other than making the strike progress to the next stage. I think you're right in that preemptively killing a boss wouldn't be the right way to handle it, but causing enough damage to trigger a different version of the final fight (maybe a harder one--if you can deal enough damage before the final fight, you get the heroic version, or just a more difficult variant).

I like you're idea of mid strike chests, too.

Those were just some thoughts I had after reading your post. I do think it would be neat to see more things incorporated into Strikes to add layers to them, though I hold substantial fears about how the community at large would handle them.

It would definitely take a lot of fine tuning. Any time you add additional "extra" rewards to an activity, a subset of players will consider that the baseline expectation, and anything under that will be not worth it. It's a difficult line to walk, I think.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread