Weekly Deals... XB1|PS4 (The Division and... Fury Road?) (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 08:41 (2191 days ago)
edited by Korny, Thursday, March 29, 2018, 09:04

Xbone

For those waiting for a Division sale on Xbone, it's on sale for $15 if you get the base game, or $27 for the Gold Edition, which comes with the Season pass and a handful of other non-cosmetic things, as part of the Xbox Live Spring Sale. If you're not certain about the game, remember that it does have a six-hour free trial period for you to check it out!

Meanwhile Titanfall 2 Ultimate Edition remains $6, and remains the best gaming deal to ever grace the Xbone.

While it's been overhyped to the point of being overrated, Life Is Strange is a very solid Telltale-style game that's not made by telltale, and you can pick up the entire first season for $5. Definitely a game that you'll want to play with a crowd.

If you're looking for a fantastic co-op game, Resident Evil 5 is one of the best (which is funny, because the game is pretty terrible otherwise), and you can get the complete edition for $8. This includes two bonus levels (the intense Lost in Nightmares, and the wild Desperate Escape mode), All of the Mercenaries Survival Mode characters, and more! It also has matchmaking, and I still find players pretty regularly, so you'll likely always have someone to play with.
The only co-op zombie game better than this is the four-player Dying Light: The Following Edition, which is coincidentally also on sale for $21!

If you want a cheap co-op game, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is only $3, and what we played of it was fun!

While I haven't really played it myself, and it's early access (caveat emptor!), Malagate has been saying some great things about Astroneer, which is a 2-4 player co-op game in the vein of No Man's Sky/Minecraft, with a pinch of Nuts & Bolts, and a hint of Deep Rock Galactic. I dunno about you, but that sounds like a winning combo to me, and it's on sale for $15.

Also, here are the free XBL games for next month:

The Witness - April 1-30
If you're a nerd who likes puzzles, folks around here have great things to say about it!

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - April 16 to May 15
Yet-another-AC-game: The Game

Disney/Pixar's Cars 2 - April 1-15
Would be literally indistinguishable from Forza, if it weren't for the Mario Kart-style powerups and combat. Appeals to the same age bracket anyway.

Dead Space 2 - April 16-30
The peak of the Dead Space franchise (yes, somehow even better than the first), and as close as you can get to a flawless horror survival game. Play it on Zealot difficulty for best results (I like that the higher difficulties have some more in-depth rebalancing besides just "everything is harder".

PS4

The Weekly deals over on PSN are kind of weak this week, and there's not a lot that I can personally recommend.

Assassin's Creed Origins has gotten decent reviews, and some folks can't stop spamming the Activity Feeds with their screenshots, so the game clearly looks great. Haven't played an AC game in ages, but this one allegedly overhauls the combat, and gets fun, In spite of/especially with the obligatory Ubisoft bugs.
You can get the game for $30, although the latest DLC has been getting a lot of positive press, so you might want to throw the season pass in there and get it all for $50.

If you want a couch-co-op game that will have you in tears of laughter, grab three friends and hop into Gang Beasts for $15. Whether you're doing versus or co-op, this game makes for a simple, fun time.

Hellblade is on sale for $21, and it's a fantastic bit of storytelling. I've spoken at-length about this game a few times, but it's truly an experience that you need to go into without a whole lot of info, and while it's best experienced with 3D audio, having someone at your side as you play will make for some great discussion.

If you didn't pick them up when they were free with PS+, you can get both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain in a single blow with Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience for $15. I've often said that TPP is the best Hitman game that I've ever played, and that remains true to this day. Kojima's Konami swan song, it holds up as a great game with a lot of moving parts tying it all into a somehow-cohesive experience. From the stealth missions to the base-building, it all ties together as a great game experience. Can't wait to see what Death Stranding brings!

And while I haven't played it myself, if you're a grown man who couldn't get enough about the lives of these teenage girls, The Life is Strange prequel, Before The Storm, is on sale for $10.19. I'm not on any watch list, so I haven't played it myself, but folks around here seem to have enjoyed it, the sickos.

Your free PS+ games for next month are:

Mad Max-
An underrated open-world game. It grim, violent, and incredibly fun. A pseudo-prequel to Fury Road, the game tells the story of how Max teams up with a resident of the wastes in order to build a car... And that's the whole premise, but things just aren't quite that simple sometimes, huh? It's a great experience with some solid writing, and familiar combat. Just be aware that it has kind of a weak start, as you're initially driving a wonky dune buggy throughout the tutorial, which has terrible handling that's nothing like the countless other cars in the game...

------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and this is unrelated to gaming, but since we're talking about Mad Max, you can get the Fury Road BluRay with an $8 coupon towards a ticket for Ready Player One for only $7.99 at Best Buy!
------------------------------------------------------

TrackMania Turbo-
While I never played this, I've heard good things, and it sounds like it has a ton of features (custom tracks, co-op and couch vs modes, and over 200 tracks). Sounds fun... for a racing game.

The other games I've never heard of (besides Q*Bert, but seriously), so... here you go:

In Space we Brawl, PS3
Toy Home, PS3
99 Vidas, PS Vita
Q*Bert Rebooted, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS3 and PS4)

And don't forget to pick up your five free PS4 games from this past month, including Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank!

Anyway, those are your highlighted deals for the week! There's plenty more at either deals page, so check it out for something I might have skipped!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread