Fast-paced cooperative shooter with fleshed-out melee, huh? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 09, 2018, 11:57 (2207 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Korny, Monday, April 09, 2018, 12:12

All cool ideas. I’m partial to using actual melee weapons, but the idea of a Titan just cracking their knuckles is too damn good. Like, that needs to go into a game right now lol.

Maybe a rarely-seen Battlefield-style easter egg animation where instead of the default melee-equipping animations, you get stuff like:
The Titan draws a knife, looks at it curiously, then crushes it with his hand.
Hunters pull out a handful of blades and eenie-meenie between them.
And Warlocks open up their cloak, see an empty sheath with "Knife goes here" note, and shrug.

These animations take no longer than the dafault ones. :v

Part of the appeal for me is that this sort of melee combat is a great avenue for cool animations, as well as an excuse to switch to a 3rd person camera so we can see our guardians more often. Half the time I’m using my Arc Strider super, I’m just spinning and flipping around because it looks so cool! It would be awesome to see Assassinations come back too.

I don't get why Bungie opted for samey blades in D2 (with the exception of Quickfang and Crown-splitter), when the exotic swords in D1 were interesting and unique.

An Exotic battle-axe that you get from Iron Banner is a no-brainer.
Fallen-themed twin blades (That maybe let you climb/stick to walls),
a Kukri that you can throw boomerang style,
a whip that can hold enemies in place while doing damage,
a spear that can impale multiple enemies in a row... The melee weapon possibilities are pretty limitless.

I agree that assassinations/finishers are due for a comeback, and melee weapons are definitely the avenue that opens that up.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread