Lately it's cool to hate (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 13, 2018, 11:22 (2176 days ago) @ Durandal

Bungie has always had people who felt it was cool to hate on their games. Halo was like this, as well as Destiny 1.

The popularity of COD and PBUG/FORTNIGHT really tells me that people want to bread and circuses over all else. Even the D1 crucible complaints were a bit overblown or misdirected, as streamers wanted to nerf things that hurt them but not things that hurt other players (SNIPERS).

I think that Bungeie's main mistake in D2 was taking things away from players that existed in D1, notably the boss rush of the Forge and Oryx's council, sparrow racing, 6 man pvp, all gear, and not iterating enough elsewhere to compensate.

The changes to public events and lost sectors was good, but minor. Bungie needs someone to go around and say, "thats a good idea, how do we take it farther?". They have so many systems in place that just seem to be a good push away from being really great.

There is a bit of a pile-on going on through Reddit and other forums, but I can't give anyone a tough time for feeling skeptical about the new DLC. I love a lot about Destiny 2, but there are definitely some head-scratching problems with it (of the "but... they got this part so right in TTK, how did they get it so wrong in D2?" variety). For me personally, Curse of Osiris was a huge blow. This is just my opinion, but I think CoO is a truly terrible expansion. It's still Destiny, so there's stuff about it that is still fun to play. But as a package of "new content", I think it is poor in almost every way. So I can't help feeling skeptical about Warmind. I'm a bit anxious about it, really. I've already paid for it, so I'm obviously going to play it. But if it is as the same quality level as CoO for me, then my already shaky faith in Bungie as a developer will take another hard hit. I don't know exactly what that means to me, aside from the fact that I certainly won't be pre-ordering anything else from them any time soon. I really do hope it turns out well, because I think D2 still has a lot of potential.

At any rate, I love the art that they've shown. Great aesthetic. Fingers crossed :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread