I don't like it either, but I get it... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 16:38 (2193 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Okay, this sounds way more cynical than I want. Almost all of the new stuff they're adding sounds awesome and welcome to my ears. The only thing I'm frustrated by is the conversation about leveling too easily. That was the best part of Destiny 2. It was not difficult to play the endgame. Not to sound too much like Cody here, but the way to lengthen the game isn't to make it take longer to get stuff arbitrarily. Rather, you should make it take longer to get stuff by adding more content so that there's more stuff worth getting to get. Maybe it will play out differently, but I hope I can still bring a non fully-leveled character to endgame content and feel like I have a shot.

Yeah, it's a reactionary change alright. With D1, people complained about the grind and gear/power checks, so they got rid of them for D2.
Inevitably, people now complained that it's too easy to level up, causing you to burn through the content, and so there's no "tangible" incentive to play the hardest content, and Bungie can't crank out content at anything remotely resembling a decent pace in order to keep up with demand.

Bungie can't win. So what worked better for them (in terms of population and content consumption) was the longer, and more painful grind of D1, so they want to make sure they can stretch Warmind out as long as possible, as well as making new players take longer to consume the existing content.
It's smart from a business perspective, even if it just kind of screws over the people who enjoyed not having to play as much to be at the same level as the more dedicated players (which, again, is something that I've discussed as an inevitable result of the complaints from the top percent).

The idea is to make the droughts feel shorter, even if they aren't. It's a move against the players, but it's the best they can do with the content that we already have, and it buys them more time after Warmind launches.

So it goes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread