Thoughts on Prestige Eater of Worlds. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 20:47 (2108 days ago) @ cheapLEY

We played for right around two hours. We didn't finish Mines (though got to the last set once and close to that a few times).

The first thing is the curated loadouts. I still think it's an interesting idea, but it was pretty bad curation this week. Pulse Rifles are awful for dealing with so many adds and those Minotaurs. SMGs were fine, and did actually work pretty well there. I've never really loved Grenade Launchers, and had mixed feelings using them tonight.

The real fun killer was the modifier, though. Arsenal just sucks, and is no fun whatsoever. For those that haven't read about it yet, Arsenal means that you have no reserve ammo. You spawn with one full magazine in your Kinetic weapon, and no other ammo. Once you empty your Kinetic weapon, you get a full magazine of Energy ammo. Once you empty that, you get a full magazine of Power. Then the cycle just repeats. It sounds interesting, I guess, but in practice it is absolutely zero fun. It takes the limited weapon control of curated loadouts and then gives you even less choice.

Also, Bungie said there were no encounter changes, but I'm convinced that's not true. They play out the same (as in there's nothing extra you have to do), but the enemy spawn rates were definitely increased, and it feels like it was by quite a bit. It wasn't uncommon to have three Minotaurs at once on each platform, and as soon as you killed one another one would spawn.

I'm definitely going to try again, but it wasn't a great experience the first time out. It's totally doable, I think, we just ran out of steam. The combination of the weapon set and modifier were awful. I think the weapon set would have been fine, but the Arsenal modifier just plane sucks, in my opinion. I hope the other new modifier is better than this, and at least Prism is cool.

I'm going to try to schedule another Prestige EOW next week, I think.

Thanks for everyone that played tonight. It was still a good time, even though we didn't make it and it wasn't necessarily "fun."

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread