No Man's Sky NEXT is cool. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 22:08 (2103 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played a few more hours tonight. Killed some pirates attacking a freighter and the Captain rewarded me by giving me his big ass ship. It's cool--it works like a mobile home base that can house multiple ships and base-building areas inside. So you can use your freighter to travel between systems, then hop in your regular ship to explore that system.

I'm still amazed by the new terrain generation. Planets are just much better now, and much more compelling than they were before.

The crafting and survival systems have been heavily overhauled. You now have a portable refinery you can craft to refine the base materials you mine into advanced versions that you need to craft blueprints.

NEXT is such a drastic improvement over the base game. However, that isn't to say that the game itself has drastically changed. If you didn't like it before, I don't think this is enough to change your mind. The gameplay loop is still the same. It's still largely aimless wondering, mining supplies to craft fuel or whatever. Base building is neat. It seems sort of weird to build bases in a game that is ostensibly about exploring trillions of planets, but teleporters allow you to visit a built base from anywhere in the galaxy. So if you find a planet you just really love the look of, you can build a base there and teleport to and from it at will.

If you already owned the game, I would highly recommend jumping back in and giving this new update a try.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread