Every Maze needs its Minotaur. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 22:45 (2017 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Well, It's been two days now, and I have to say I've thus far enjoyed the certain design choices that make this mission special, and I can't help but think (or perhaps its just some sort of odd self-destructive hope) that we'll see these design choices again.

Its really interesting how by just forgoing lighting all together within the play area can change up a space to play in. Nothing new of course. Its been done many times before in other games. But... for Destiny, with its Bungie built love of large vistas, to have this sort of... "Fog of War" through the whole play space really adds a subtle layer of mystery about things, and only adds to the rest of the points below.

The forests modularised random(?) play space has thus far always felt more a gimmick then solid game play space to me. More often then not, I've been one of those players that just trys to speed run it and skip the space entirely.

I love that somewhere in the darkness chests will spawn often by a certain character I'll speak about in a moment, and while such so far has been a (as far as I recall) Raid only thing, I find my self wondering if it shouldn't be. If the games should have more... random acts/sources of potential loot. It always feels like a find, or at least it has so far in these last two days.

Then there is our ever invulnerable, invincible, and very smash happy friend. I find myself recalling a few things in response. About this time... last year, I decided to give the 2017 Version of Prey a go. I knew absolutely NOTHING about it. As I recall, it had a Demo. I had played the original Prey for the Xbox 360, and had enjoyed it, and was looking forward to Human Head's rendition of Prey 2. I even got to see a build of it be played live. There really are too few "Bounty" style games out there. Anyway, when that didn't get published, and was instead rebooted, I was curious to see what would come from it.

Thanks to certain enemy mechanics, as well as the sheer power of the foes you face early on, was some the most fun tension-filled moments I've had in a game in ever a long while. It of course, didn't last. After a while you adept, and even the darkness learns to fear you.

Hence my utterance of "odd self-destructive hope". I hope that doesn't happen in Destiny with the true big bad, be it "The Darkness", Savathûn, or what that ever-so-smokey wispy 5th race turns out to truly be.

All this is to say, that our ever invulnerable, invincible, and very smash happy friend brings forward ever so subtly those feelings. That as a result of there being a bigger fish, something that can't be beaten, bullied, and only wishes to see things burn...er... crushed, brings an element we only really ever saw in our waking moments of early Destiny 1. I hope we see more of this. This aspect brings the forest together like the wolves who howl upon the hallows eve moonlight.

Bet you didn't see this coming eh? TL;DR: Every Maze needs its Minotaur.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread