Chromatic abberation (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 11:10 (3853 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 11:20

Bleh, not my favorite effect. That dude looks great in motion though,

I was thinking the same thing. On the initial shots where it was outdoors it looked good, but in low-light conditions it seems over-exaggerated and unrealistic. I'm not even sure that a real chromatic aberration would be that visible in low-light. Certainly the scale of the colour phasing seems excessive here:

[image]

The little flecks of light aren't just showing aberration — they're completely separating out into the three colour channels, creating three flecks from one. Same with the vertical lines. I have to imagine when it's running at whatever resolution it runs at natively, without any supersampling, this effect isn't going to be so extreme, but right here it looks like it needs toning down a bit.

You don't know:

1. What kind of space magic warps light like that.
2. How it looks in motion.

Video games are meant to be seen moving. If you get your hands on the beta or HD videos and it looks bad, then complain :-p

It's also funny how you call chromatic aberration in low light unrealistic, when it's an artifact of glass lenses, which is unrealistic anyway since our eyes aren't made of glass. Video games have no 'camera' so they can do whatever they want.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread