How Bungie will pay for Destiny

by iZac, Shanghai, Monday, February 18, 2013, 01:59 (4056 days ago) @ Cody Miller

NONE of those are microtransactions. Well... maybe you could count 'extensions to in-game services', depending on what that actually means.

But outside services? Those aren't microtransactions. Microtransactions are small-priced (hence the name) in-game (non-physical) purchases that augment the experience. The stuff listed up there is completely outside the game itself.

I don't necessarily exclude things from being classified as a micro transaction just because, to use your terms, it isn't 'In game (non-physical)'. Things like services that effect the game experience I would consider micro transactions, including things like Bungie Pro.

In fact, Bungie Pro will only work with Destiny (for the time being) since Bungie doesn't control Halo anymore.

Perhaps it is semantics, I don't know, but I also assume microtransactions to be small payments (like less than a cup of coffee or something). These would provide you a minimal advantage - in game currency or a better weapon or something, that is priced to suit the impact of that extra feature. Fundamentally you could say that paying $20 to play half a dozen missions on Venus or whatever is exactly like paying 99 cents for 1000 monopoly bucks, but I doubt many would see that.

I guess what we all hope (and Claude is suggesting?) is that buying the game is the only outlay you pay until Bungie release the mid-cycle mission pack DLC.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread