And you're immature (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 19, 2018, 10:13 (1978 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean other's are stupid for liking it.

And you probably shouldn't reinterpret a simple statement and then treat is as literal. Especially when the original statement came from Funkmon... Also, leading with an insult is also not especially nice and is a sign of immaturity.

Reinterpret? Everyone interprets, that's how communication works. Why shouldn't I treat it as literal? I think it makes as much sense to treat it literally as it does to not treat it literally; this, however, irked me.

I also did consider the fact that I was being sharp and a bit rude but I decided to do so anyway as I was responding in kind with that which was given.

Honestly, he could've been joking, and that's fine. I responded to highlight that it didn't come across that way. Up to him whether he wants to reconsider how he phrases things.

The reason I replied is to say that you are insulting a single person based on your interpretation of a sentence that may or may not have been an insult directed at a group of people.

I personally don't like directed attacks on people. But I also don't know if Funkmon is doing that. From his history, I would say no. I do however know that you have. I'm just trying to point out that people can defend themselves and what they like without directly attacking someones character.

I, personally, find this particular meme to be chuckleworthy almost every time I see it. It brings me joy. I do not appreciate the connotative connection between that joy and stupidity.

This sentence would have been a great reply to Funkmons statement without the subject line. It doesn't assume he is insulting anyone, but if he is, it clearly states that you don't appreciate the insult. Isn't that better than starting with an insult even if you aren't sure if it's warranted?

[edit]
I just want to clarify, I just want us all to be better at defending what we like without insulting each other. If Funkmon is trying to be insulting, I'm right behind you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread