Just some thoughts, good and bad, about current Destiny. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 15, 2019, 18:01 (1861 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't disagree with any of that. I think they're honestly doing good work with The Drifter, though. Sure, it's a small step, but I think it is there, and I really do hope it's only the beginning. This could be a new path forward for Bungie and Destiny . . . or could just be the same old shit that ends up not really mattering. We'll see.

I played through the start of the Vanguard side of The Allegiance quest yesterday, and, even as rudimentary as it as, exploring the Hangar to find the console, making a drop to an agent, and setting up bugs in the Drifter's space in the Annex was super compelling--it felt like I was doing something real, rather than shooting the same Fallen Captain for the thousandth time.

On one hand, me being so thoroughly blown away by The Allegiance quest is surely some sort of commentary on my generally low expectations of how this shit normally goes. I won't pretend this is some amazing new pinnacle of good quest design. But I do think it's a compelling way to reuse old content and still make it feel at least sort of fresh and worth doing. And while I want new cutscenes as much the next person, I genuinely like the lore pages, and I think the way the framed getting the messages from Aunor makes it feel pretty natural as a way to tell that story. With the addition of the new (and good) mission dialogue from The Drifter, and I'm honestly pretty happy with this method of telling Destiny's story on an ongoing basis between major content releases.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread