In the before time, before Reddit (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, March 16, 2019, 07:35 (1868 days ago)

So, I'm pretty sure this has been brought up around these parts before but reading this about BioWare on kotaku really reminded me of how much things have changed with developer-community interaction.

The comments are interesting for both sides, with those complaining about corporate shills etc but I never, ever felt that way with Bungie back in the day, posting on the bnet or when they'd drop by HBO, or even the rarer occasions on DBO. I'll also add I don't feel that way about them today, but things are different.

It was awesome. You get to know the people. You get invested. Yes, the *company*, the *publisher* are here to make $$$. But the devs? To me, they're artists. They're people who are putting their creative soul into something to share. I've had the pleasure of meeting some, some are friends that made it to work *at* these studios. Putting a face to it changes it.

But that drop off was real.

That toxicity in the community is real.

I totally get why they'd then avoid direct channels with the fans. Fandom is such bullshit sometimes. On the positive side, you get superfans like Claude who build places like this that are an oasis and special. On the other end of the spectrum, you get entitled man-babies and weebs who feel like they're owed something.

That's it I guess. Just musing about days past.

Hope Destiny is treatin' you all well! :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread