In the before time, before Reddit (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, March 16, 2019, 14:14 (1868 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is also a shift in perspective in a lot of places about the value of fan feedback and how to interpret the increased volume of data. I think there is a lot more memetic harshness than you used to see where most communities were less visually centralized.

It was a lot easier to disregard the vocal mudslinging when it was limited to isolated forums and small social circles. Now you have massive confluences of different groups all bleeding into each other. Reddit being the possible ur-example of that effect.

So, definitely the numbers, but with all that data many developers are working to figure out how to both interact with the volume and to retrieve value out of it.

I see a lot of complaints about Bungie saying "we're listening to your feedback" (I mean, it's become a meme on its own) and people being mad that it doesn't lead to immediate implementations. Because sometimes that feedback might not line up with hard numerical data on their end, and folk won't give the benefit that perhaps their perspective is narrow and anecdotal and not supported by vast measurable data. This last part has always been there, though.

And then people make comparisons to developers with either a much more narrowly focused game or an entirely different (often both in size and temperament) fan base. /rant

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread