Glad it worked for some! (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 00:45 (1792 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Unlike most pretentious directors (Looking at you, Cage), Kojima is a legitimate master of his craft, and as confusing as things are and will no doubt be long after the game is out, they will be discussed and made sense of for months, if not years to come.

Yes… and no. His highs are very high… but there is sometimes a lot of bullshit in the way. But it's weird because it's just silly bullshit, not really anything frustrating or off putting. Almost charming in a way.

Right, and it is charming in a way that you just have to smile and shake your head. His weird affinity for Raiden, the oddly Japanese trope of hypnosis, and all of the contrived explanations for every minutiae in past and present games? It's all needlessly stupid at times, but it never gets in the way of the great stuff.

But there is a substantial amount of sexism still present in his work.

Yeah. On the one hand, it's very much a cultural thing. Things that are off-putting to us just don't seem to be for Japanese creators.
On the other hand, Kojima has always been heavily influenced by Western media, and you'd think that somewhere between Snatcher and now, he'd have gone through some personal growth and moved beyond the blatant sexism that pervades every single game he makes in some way (even Zone of the Enders, for crying out loud!).
I've no doubt that they'll have some clever/contrived reason why that woman is called "Fragile" (I mean, it's written on her shirt, it could be played off as a nametag joke), but that won't change the fact that the prominent female has a depreciatory name from the get-go.

And yeah, Cheap mentioned Quiet, but the Beauty and the Beast Unit are far worse offenders, I feel. If you are aware that Kojima wanted them to be fully nude outside of their Beast armor, it just adds to the grossness of how you could exploit psychologically damaged women in skintight suits with a photo camera, getting them to crawl after and pose/dance for you to take photos of them.
But again, if you can ignore that, MGS4 is considered by most to be a masterpiece.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread