It's absolutely malice. (Gaming)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, June 10, 2019, 11:46 (1781 days ago) @ Korny
edited by ManKitten, Monday, June 10, 2019, 11:51

This honestly sounds more like laziness than malice. Like no one ever bothered to track who did what, so each time they publish something, they just grab the CURRENT employee roster at that moment.

They have updated the games post-launch to remove people from the credits (even the localization team!)

That doesn't surprise me at all, and if you've never worked somewhere disorganized enough to do something similar, then I congratulate you on your very good luck. But what does annoy me a bit is when this was pointed out, they apparently doubled down on it as "policy" rather than just saying "huh, yeah we should probably track that."

It's basically instilling a fear of erasure, making employees more subservient, without directly threatening them. The fact that it's acknowledged as policy really just removes any trace of doubt as to it being a form of intimidation.

Recognizing the point and sentiment of this thread, I have to throw in this argument. How many professions exist that have "credits"? Movies and games? And I'm pretty sure movie credits are there as part of union agreements. They have to be in a certain order, certain people get their own screen, while others might share a screen, while others are in the scroll. Is the video game industry follow the same model?

Outside of that, the remaining 99.9% of the worlds workforce don't get "credit" for the job they do. Their efforts are under the name of the business. At my job, I create pretty much all of the publicly viewed media but I don't get any public credit for it...I get a paycheck. That's how a job works.

[Edit] - Just to clarify, I'm not defending the discussed actions, I agree it's crappy to actively remove people from the original lineup if they were previously mentioned.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread