The Rise and Fall of Anthem (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 29, 2019, 08:51 (1704 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I never had a good feeling about Anthem. Part of it was the way BioWare abandoned Mass Effect: Andromeda. I guess I don’t really trust any studio to work on / support more than one AAA game at a time. For Anthem specifically, it seemed very odd to abandon an established franchise for a new, unproven one.

Later, when I tried the beta, I was just completely unimpressed. Yes, it was pretty... but in that “you’re stuck in this pretty tunnel don’t stray too far” kind of way. The combat didn’t click with me. And the flight, which was supposed to be the highlight of the game, just kinda wasn’t fun except maybe for the class that got permanent hover.

I’m kinda glad Anthem is dying. Maybe it’ll teach BioWare to not try and have two sci-fi properties at the same time.

Also there was this article somewhat recently that I agreed with. Along with the Kotaku postmortems on Andromeda and Anthem, I’m pretty much in the “prove yourself before I buy your stuff, BioWare” camp as well...

And remember, I liked Andromeda. It had some issues, but set up a nice branch of the Mass Effect universe that dlc and a sequel could have made great.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread