Some of these new gameplay systems need rethinking IMO (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, October 12, 2019, 12:39 (1651 days ago) @ Cody Miller

From what was described, you can equip mods that make you do more damage against champions. Seems like that INCREASES damage output. What's the tradeoff? What do you give up?

So there are three Champion types.

Overload Champions which just run around relentlessly and beat shit up. I've mainly seen these in the form of teleporting Minotaurs. You can equip an Overload mod to SMGs, Auto Rifles, or Bows. If you hit them with Overload rounds, they get locked in place, and you can destroy them.

Unstoppable Champions are similar (I've only seen them in the form of big ol' fuck off Ogres in this week's Nightfall). Only Hand Cannons have Unstoppable Mods. When you aim down sights, after about a second you get a buff on the hand cannon, which will freeze them in place.

Barrier Champions will occasionally bubble up in a shield that only a Hand Cannon, Auto Rifle, or SMG with Anti-Barrier mods can penetrate. They also heal while in their shield. Anti-Barrier mods also have the added benefit of piercing normal shields, Hydra shields, and the Hobgoblin lockdown thing (sadly, they don't penetrate the Taken Goblin tether or the Servitor tether).

All of those champions are totally killable without any of those mods, it's just more difficult (and probably vastly more difficult on higher tier Nightfalls). They don't make you strictly "better" overall, just for dealing with those champions that only show up in certain activities. They also lock you into using certain loadouts, which can only be Hand Cannons, Bows, SMGs, and Auto Rifles (and those mods cannot be applied to exotics). So you have to decide if you want to give up using your favorite loadout to cover one or more champion types, or if you rely on your team to have those covered. Being able to effectively deal with Champions may also mean not being as effective overall in varying situations.

It's not perfect, but I do think it's interesting, and I think there's definitely more room to experiment in that direction in other seasons.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread