Im back! And er... kind of lost (Destiny)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, October 18, 2019, 09:24 (1652 days ago)

Hey folks, how have you all been?

I finally picked up D2 now that it's gone F2P, as my existing grievances with Bungie/Activision/Eververse dictated that I wouldn't be buying it at launch (and unlike Cody, I stick to my principles even when its inconvenient).

I did however try a few hours at a friend's place about 18 months ago, and got to the DMZ, the Farm etc.

Coming back after such a long time, I started over on my Warlock as I didnt remember much more than the broad strokes, and wanted to experience the story from fresh.... ony to find its not there??

Ive been hit with what I understand is a revamped version of the D1 starting mission instead of the Cabal Invasion story I was expecting, and been welcomed to the Tower, which seems remarkably intact(!?). Everywhere I look are vendors for content that I have no context for or understanding of, and when I went to Banshee as instructed by the mission prompt, he gave me an Exotic Quest involving Nightfalls and Strikes, concepts I recognise from d1 but certainly have no experience with as a "new" player.

(On further inspection, talking to him a second time continued the starting quest and gave me a Blue pulse rifle. For some reason it was buried behind the Exotic interaction).

Have Bungie finally embraced that they're an MMO, and dispensed with guidance for new players and old content? What's all this talk of seasons? Can I still access the "old" version of the story, with the Cabal invasion, ruined tower etc? If I log into my Titan will I be able to continue that story where I left off?

It's very disorienting (and not a great first impression for new/returning players). Can anyone point me in the right direction for how I should be going about things to get the most enjoyable narrative experience?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread