What are the stakes? We need something more. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 03, 2019, 10:53 (1599 days ago) @ bluerunner

This is something that’s been discussed, but it hit me particularly hard for some reason.

So the Cabal want to undo our victory in the Red War. But that won’t happen. I could ignore this season and we i play again in a few months, nothing would be any different. There are still no actual stakes, no ramifications for our actions or non-actions.

This season we were tasked with gathering Vex components to build the gate. But that didn’t matter. Gate progress wasn’t actually tied to how many parts we gathered, it was completely arbitrary. Everyone could have collectively stopped killing Vex altogether, and the gate would have been built week by week still.

I desperately want to see community goals come to Destiny. I want failure to be a real possibility beyond just on the individual level. Put a massive challenge in front of us, with the real possibility that it might not be something we complete. What would happen if those Psion Flayers actually achieve their goals?

Maybe I’m asking to much, for the community to be able to dictate so much of the story. But it feels necessary to get anything in Destiny to feel like it matters. I certainly haven’t killed the Undying Mind. But it’s fine, someone else took care of it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread