What are the stakes? We need something more. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 03, 2019, 11:17 (1599 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Warframe did, at one point. It still does some of what I’m talking about on a smaller scale with its clan system, where all the members can contribute resources to unlock rare blueprints for gear and items (or even just unique paint colors).

I appreciate the stepping away aspect, but the nature of the way seasons work already negate that. If you miss a season, you can’t just go back and do it later. So why not let something have a real impact?

I’m also of the kind that failure is more interesting. What if we hadn’t gathered enough Vex components by the end of the season, and now the Undying Mind is doing some bad shit because we didn’t stop him.

What if the Psions win, and now we have to live in the reality (if even only briefly) where we lost the Red War?

Again, I realize that it might just be asking for too much, for Bungie to have to plan for two contingencies based on whether we succeed or fail a season, but it doesn’t even necessarily have to be on some massive scale. I just want to see some real stakes, with the real possibility of failure on the community scale. My Guardian hasn’t finished the newest raid (hell, she never killed Riven), but the game still moves forward like she did. Stuff like that can’t necessarily change, but setting community goals that the players might fail with real consequences could go a long way.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread