There will never be a redemption arc for Uldren. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 11:46 (1570 days ago) @ Malagate

Funny, I got a "definitely going to be redeemed" vibe from that lore piece

Same. I would find it very unsatisfying if Uldren just became a bad guy again.

I don't think he was ever a bad guy. A condescending, stuck-up tool; sure. But not actually evil. And his prevailing character traits simply made him easier to manipulate. Still requiring some kind of redemption arc to be a sympathetic character, which I agree leaves us on some pretty fertile ground, as far as world-building and storytelling goes.

Uldren is dead. The Guardian that inhabits his corpse is a completely different person. Sure, his perspective is shaped by the way people treat him (and it's clearly not a positive experience), but this Lore piece highlights his character, as someone who is inherently good, who cares about his Ghost's feelings, and who wants to do something nice.

No matter how the story moves forward (assuming it ever does at all), he is a new character. Just one who will have to overcome a special (and personal to us) amount of prejudice and unwarranted hatred.

I'd love for Bungie's actual writing team to handle something like that well.

Imagine if they made him a playable character in a spinoff that pits you against Guardians on your way to the City or something, working your way up to Hunter Vanguard, Similar to Aloy's Hunting Lodge journey in HZD.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread