There will never be a redemption arc for Uldren. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 10:44 (1611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have no problem with characters who enter the picture, have their story, and then leave. I just wouldn’t want EVERY character to be used that way.

So we are halfway through the supposed 10 year span of Destiny… does it feel like we are halfway through an overarching story? Or does it feel like we've got a bunch of smaller ones that don't intersect much?

I am actually asking because It's been a year since I've experienced any new story content. (December 23rd is my one year Destiny sobriety).

Did you ever read Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut? The way its told is as a sort of meandering recollection of events from a single narrator's POV. But he doesn't tell the story in anything close to a linear fashion. He jumps back and forth from event to event, constantly referencing stuff that happens elsewhere in the story as if he's already told you, but he hasn't. You spend the entire book just waiting for him to finally just lay out a concise series of events, but he never does. And yet, somehow, by the end of the book you basically have the whole picture. It's told in a completely scattershot way, and you're left to piece a lot of it together for yourself, but it's all there.

Destiny is kinda like that at this point. Especially if you include the lore pieces that are included with some of the triumphs, the little lore pieces Bungie is posting on their site, and the grimoire stuff (setting aside the whole "that stuff should be in the game" discussion).

That said, I think a great deal of Destiny's storytelling is poorly done. Much of the written lore is great, but in-game character development is still terrible IMO, with 1 or 2 possible exceptions. But I do like the fact that they are now beginning to take "one and done" events from the first couple years of Destiny and tie them to things we are doing now. Threads are forming and being pulled together. It's all very haphazard and messy, but there is an actual sense of history starting to come together. Not "lore", but history that we are directly a part of.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread