Marathon 1 & 2 (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, December 16, 2019, 09:10 (1584 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can snap your fingers and get two modern remakes of any Bungie developed or published game. Which two, why, and what would you hope for? You can go crazy here: you can even change genre for the remake if you like.

Marathon 1 & 2.

The Halo series I think holds up as they are (either as the originals in compatibility mode, or in their MCC/Anniversary incarnations. No need to touch them right now, if ever.

The Myth series, I feel, also holds up as they are. If players are unaware or uninterested in Myth, I think that's because of things that are inherent to Myth and the particulars of its gameplay (realtime tactics, no resource management). I don't feel, for instance, that Myth would really benefit if you, say, ported it to the same engine that runs, for example, Halo Wars.

The Marathon games are first person shooters, but running on an engine that has significant limitations and differences from what came later. I think a remake of those scenarios in modern engines (rather than just Halo and Destiny which are similar works with similar themes and broadly similar gameplay) would be something of value.

I'd buy that. I would play that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread