I’ll throw my hand up for Myth I & II (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 09:02 (1583 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can go crazy here

As great as Marathon and Oni could be, I’ll go with Myth. The narration was an effective story telling device at the time and great for atmosphere, but technology would open up some doors to get a touch more direct story telling in the game. I know this is a contentious issue in a more recent Bungie game right now...

But over and above that I like to think about elements of Myth that would be striking now. While a real-time tactical game wouldn’t translate to VR, seeing Thrall inevitably stumbling closer, Soulless float and hurl spears, the earth pounding and scale as a Trow stomps through the mist. It would be full on (maybe too much).

Myth oozed atmosphere, and that could be great in a remake.

I wish project Magma weren’t so confusing. Maybe I’ll install an OS 9 emulator and do it that way. But can you do QuickDraw RAVE that way or would you have to play Myth as software only rendering?

What's confusing about Magma?

Running Myth on modern OSes is really dead simple-- there's no need to mess around with emulators.

I think the thing that stops me from wanting a Myth remake is that to me, at least, it stands up as it is in a way that I am not entirely sure Marathon does, compared to other, linear, story-driven FPS games that are more recent.

Although in a pinch I'd take Marathon 1 and Pathways Into Darkness. It's arguable that Marathon 2 stands up the way it is, and Infinity is a separate thing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread