Marty O’Donnell talks about Activison x Bungie (Destiny)

by Simpsons Rule @, Thursday, July 09, 2020, 06:32 (1380 days ago) @ Kermit

The only content that really mattered were the strikes, which were hit and miss, and like all strikes, pretty soon became nice comfort food, not crucial content IMHO.

They definitely toed the line well enough to get away with it. Not quite significant enough exclusive content to keep Xbox players away.

I'll just say that a popular argument was that Bungie owed a special debt to their core audience--Xbox owners. It was deja vu for those of us who remember the Great Mac Abandonment, which was, frankly, a much more significant "betrayal."

I wouldn't subscribe to that argument, but I'd love to know if someone fought to prevent Destiny from being a PlayStation console exclusive and we ultimately ended up with a compromise.

Whether the exclusivity deal and Activision money was necessary is still being debated, and who knows about NetEase.

Out of the frying pan...

Much of the time companies are in the process of tacking away from a storm on the horizon, and the trick is to make it appear as if the course and destination is and was always clear.

Agreed, and we'll likely never know the real details.

-SR

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread