No Raytrace or GI Additons or Improvements? (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 15, 2020, 11:50 (1281 days ago) @ bluerunner

To be frank, most of what is listed should have been a given for most. 4k? 60fps? Faster load times? Well yeah, duh. Those have been the buzz words for the last - what has it been, can't even recall - 5 months or so? Those were a given. Destiny would be instantly "outdated" not to be. Even the Cross-Generation Play was just about a given as well. It would be odd to see the the last generational hand offs be possible, but not be the case here now.

Only real reason to post this is the "Field of View Slider" which I've seen asked for and talked about for awhile. It was and is a major thing folks across the net have been asking for. I have not been one of those people, and I'm not thrilled that this is going to be a thing on console. Reasons being already uttered above by squidnh3 here and here.

One of the things I've always preferred about consoles is the mostly-level playing field where you didn't have to worry about things like that, but it's looking like that ship has sailed.

Now I have to balance my choice of FOV between my preference in terms of aesthetics and experience with my desire to not be held back in a competitive or personal performance sense by those preferences. I find such meta-type decision making to be annoying when playing games. It's clear I will have to learn to live with my annoyance moving forward.

It's been annoying enough in PvP between the point-and-shoot win machines and the folks who seem to play on 10 sensitivity with 200 on every stat. Now I'm going to have to deal with eyes practically on the back to their heads too. Bleh. And the worst part is... unless it can be presented in the API, you wont even know you're seen until it's too late.

C'est la vie!

The main things I'm hoping to see are the improvements that have been made to the engine. The graphical horse work. I have no idea the how vertical in sheerness the difficulty curve would be to add the titled tech into an existing engine, so perhaps I shouldn't be as disappointed as I am. But I am disappointed. Even if there is more to be said, I would expect to see such things presented here now in this post, as Raytraceing and GI are the big buzz words with good reason. It would be a boon in the selling point. Granted we still have end of year... but... I guess we'll see.

We’re excited for you to experience these enhancements for yourself and we’ll share more next generation details in the future.

You'd think a game about light could pull it off. Just say'n. :P

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread