Europa is an Environment Masterclass (After Raid) (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 22, 2020, 07:40 (1249 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don’t think you’re wrong necessarily, I guess it just doesn’t bother me all that much. I like the hub zones of Europa quite a bit (except for Asterion Abyss—sorry Bungie, Vex architecture blows. It’s a pain to navigate, it’s not all that appealing looking. It seems like a waste of effort when they could do literally anything else).

I think multiple landing zones ruined the way they designed Destinations. Even the vanilla D2 zones had lots of dead ends, mostly used during Adventures. Instead of making the loop back out somehow, they just figured folks would fast travel out. Europa just didn’t get the memo that it only really had one landing zone. I certainly miss only having one, I knew all the D1 areas much better than any of the D2 areas, even the ones I actively enjoyed being in. It was just too easy to fast travel to where I needed to go. That seems like an unambiguous bad thing, when you have these massive zones that no one spends any real time in.

Europa is sort of a mixed bag. I really love it. There’s a lot happening there, and I genuinely enjoy just roaming around the area doing all the little events that pop up. They added several more yesterday. However, it also feels like just another Destiny zone. Why not something more interesting? I genuinely want something like the Bray Exoscience facility, but massive. Make that the entire zone. Titan came close to that sort of feeling, I think, but that was also the worst zone probably ever in trend of unused dead ends. Hell, it’s the reason I was initially disappointed by the Dreaming City. How are you going to call a location the Dreaming City and none of it is in a city? The gameplay possibility in a space like that is so appealing. Look no further than the first encounter of Scourge. It rules! I want a whole Destination built like that.

At the very least, they could have alleviated some dead ends. You’re telling me they didn’t build a train tunnel from the city they lived in to the science facility they worked in? They didn’t build one from the science facility to the big ass Vex portal that was the primary source of everything they did? They just trundled through the snow? I don’t buy it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread