What Control? An Update. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 31, 2021, 14:01 (1180 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, January 31, 2021, 14:46

It sounds like what he is talking about is something like PS4 back compat using PS5. It plays the game, but it might bump the framerate or resolution, or graphics settings. But it's the same game.

But what about an actual next gen version of the game, where it's a whole new version of the game built to take full advantage of the new console? How does this work in that scenario?

That’s what Smart Delivery is (on Xbox). Your disc will work as a license that allows you to download the Series X version. I have no idea if the same thing will work on Playstation. It works with digital versions, but no idea if I can stick an old Miles Morales disc in a PS5 and then get the actual upgraded version.

On both consoles, that automatic upgrade is still up to the publisher’s discretion to allow.

Sorry, but this is still confusing for me.

It’s not exceedingly clear for anyone, honestly. That’s what MS was trying to solve with the Smart Delivery moniker. If you see that, you know it doesn’t matter which generation of consoles you purchase for, you’ll get the appropriate version automatically. Throwing physical discs into the mix further complicates things, and I haven’t bought one on five years, so I can’t actually vouch for how it works.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread