Make decisions for HP (Gaming)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, November 11, 2013, 08:14 (3826 days ago) @ uberfoop
edited by Xenos, Monday, November 11, 2013, 08:23

That's a questionable justification, though. Most people don't sit 12-15 feet from their TVs when gaming. 7-10 feet was pretty common with SD CRTs, and from what I've been able to tell perusing internet threads, HDTVs actually reduced that distance for most people (my guess is that it's at least partly because LCDs don't give off weird moire patterns when you sit too close). Regardless of image quality, people just want to sit closer. More often than not I read about people sitting like 6' from a 50".

Sounds mostly anecdotal to me. From my own personal anecdotal evidence most people sit on a couch while playing video games which is at least 10' away from their TV. Personally I set about 12' from a 60" TV and while I can tell a difference between 720p and 1080p it's not such a big difference that I feel slighted with 720p. In fact all my blu-ray rips are ripped at 720p because the better quality isn't worth the extra HDD space in my opinion.

So I guess this all comes down to: do you care about having the absolutely best resolution immediately upon release? Then get a PS4. If you don't care, decide based on games or community.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread