THAB! (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 29, 2021, 17:23 (1002 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think I’ve done a good job of not posting a bunch of complaints lately, but their cross play roll out sucks.

No voice chat. Great, I love playing with people I can’t talk to.

I think they realize it's not ideal and debated delaying it because of this, but this sounds like a late-breaking snafu, which happens. They probably would have delayed the roll out because of it but the fix is apparently coming very soon.

I think most people are going to be like me and wait for chat support before diving in, and the benefit of this is it will give Bungie a little bit of a staggered roll-out with a smaller user base. This is very useful when rolling out something this complex. Software is hard.

So you’re going to automate changing names of some people, and not give them the option to change it until in the future?

That's not true. They laid out their plans so people can anticipate exactly what will happen, and suggested they change their name now if they have unsupported characters before their names are processed.

Then just wait and be release cross play when it’s actually ready. Having your naming convention work is part of that. If there is a situation where someone will just end up as Guardian#### against their will, the entire feature isn’t ready.

Guardian#### a possibility, that's all. All platforms don't support all characters. It's a problem. They can't mind read and know what the player would want to replace unsupported characters. They're being transparent about negative possibilities precisely to mitigate them. Not having the ability to change your name immediately after rollout is not ideal, but it's not a showstopper. Especially since you can change your name before.

I know this isn’t a huge deal, and it doesn’t even affect me personally at all, but come on. Why do they have to half ass literally everything they do?

Hyperbole is very popular these days. I'm happy something I thought was impossible is possible. Yay!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread