Congrats to Dead Orbit (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 13:19 (988 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m gonna have to change my Xbox profile picture.

I found it all sort of underwhelming, honestly. The Override in the Eliksni quarter was neat. That cutscene was pretty bad, though. I didn’t realize the Vex were Stormtrooper levels of awful when it comes to shooting things—I’m glad Saint and Misraaks were able to just stand there and watch the Vex wildly miss everyone. Saint knows he’s a Guardian, right, and has magic powers?

So the Vex missing is Lore-friendly, as stupid and contrived as it sounds (Splicers can hack their aim, according to the Cryosthesia tab). As for Saint. Is he still a Light-weilder? I vaguely recall him using the Light at some point, but it was my understanding that his Ghost is dead. He does have a line of dialogue about knowing what it's like to lose one's Light. The bigger question is why he's using a non-slug shotgun to snipe the Vex.

Also, why was it in slow motion?

This is the biggest downside of mocap-based cutscenes in games, the flow and timing is always off. This is fixable, but it takes more than the minimum amount of work/time/budget, so we don't see it done a whole lot, and it's sad.
It also sucks that they don't want to move their characters around a lot, so that's why we get "enemies walk straight at them past the point where they could miss a single shot, but hey, it could be worse.

Sorry, I’m bitching again. I like the concept of what they were shooting for, but, much like the Vex in that cutscene, they missed the mark. It was just underwhelming.

It's funny that I kind of called it the other night (Eliksni quarter with NPCs coming to aid/embrace the Eliksni as their own). I liked it for what it was, but this supposed to be a mad scramble to save the city from Vex incursion, and the dialogue later implies that it was, but... It was such a weak presentation.

Also, it was so weird hearing the "You're my people" line in a game again so soon after The Last of Us II earned it (and even then, I thought it kind of felt clunky there).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread