Congrats to Dead Orbit (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 15:35 (987 days ago) @ Korny

So the Vex missing is Lore-friendly, as stupid and contrived as it sounds (Splicers can hack their aim, according to the Cryosthesia tab). As for Saint. Is he still a Light-weilder? I vaguely recall him using the Light at some point, but it was my understanding that his Ghost is dead. He does have a line of dialogue about knowing what it's like to lose one's Light. The bigger question is why he's using a non-slug shotgun to snipe the Vex.

He used a Sentinel shield in the cutscene when he comes out of the Infinite Forest in whatever season that was.

They can make Vex aim lore friendly if they want, but that didn’t make the cutscene any less boring because of it. This is supposed to be some awful battle for the city? There’s like 12 Vex there and they can’t hit shit. I felt absolutely no danger or tension in that scene at all. I’d have yelled at Ikora for wasting her fucking super on a trash mob that any one of us could have killed blindfolded with whatever trash weapon the bounty we’re carrying required.

Also, why was it in slow motion?

This is the biggest downside of mocap-based cutscenes in games, the flow and timing is always off. This is fixable, but it takes more than the minimum amount of work/time/budget, so we don't see it done a whole lot, and it's sad.
It also sucks that they don't want to move their characters around a lot, so that's why we get "enemies walk straight at them past the point where they could miss a single shot, but hey, it could be worse.

I know you complained about this last season, and I thought that cutscene looked fine, but this one was genuinely awful in that regard. It’s like they were all underwater or something.

Also, it was so weird hearing the "You're my people" line in a game again so soon after The Last of Us II earned it (and even then, I thought it kind of felt clunky there).

It was obvious they were going to play that angle, and I like that angle, I don’t hate that they did, but it didn’t really feel earned. I think it’s fine within the context of what Destiny and it’s seasons are or even could be, but the story of every season so far has felt like the sketch or outline of an actually well told story.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread