Regarding Halo Infinite. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 05, 2021, 13:18 (905 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A dead zone is a section where the sticks do nothing right? Why on earth would you want that? If you move the stick a little, you should move a little. What possible advantage is there to having you move the stick and nothing happen?

I guess I’m asking why dead zones even exist. Or at the very least why they didn’t just copy Bungie’s stick code and call it a day.

Some folks might need higer or lower dead zones if they can't make super precise movements on the thumbstick, or they find it too responsive (think about how sensitive different steering wheels are in cars, and how so many factors affect how comfortable the sensitivity makes you feel, from suspension to center of gravity).

I prefer a larger dead zone, as I make a lot of glidey and in-air movements, and twitchy controls make it harder to crunch the numbers while in motion. Some folks want the stick to jerk left as they hit left, to replicate mouse movements as closely as possible.

Basically, it's an Accessibility feature that some people rely on. Halo Infinite's is at a mid-point, which I assume is for broad appeal, but it lets you crank it way up or down from default.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread