Ars Technica not sold on Destiny... yet.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 18, 2013, 20:59 (4056 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

News Flash:

Gamers Not Yet Sold On Game Available For Preorder

Bungie loyalism aside, that article is not really a high water mark for Ars, which is a shame, since I like the site quite a bit. The author starts out by trying to mock Activision executives for their shallow devotion to Metacritic scores, and then goes in for the reductionism of "World of Halocraft". I wonder if Ars has a section where one can discuss the relative light reflectivity of vessels used for boiling water.

No gameplay in a game at least a year out from release? Heaven forfend!

We know some classes, but not how many there are or how they are different or the number of weapons or what their specs are... my goodness, how can we all expect to begin min/maxing our way through World of Halocraft without all the necessary information? Some people need to start building spreadsheets, dammit!

I hope games development isn't as joyless as games journalism, because it sounds like this guy is not having fun, and it'd be awful to think that Bungie is having even less fun than that.

I haven't preordered Destiny. I don't tend to preorder games, even Bungie ones; I may have preordered one of the Halo titles, I'm not sure. Nobody is being forced to do so. Some of Destiny's stuff leaked, and as a result, Bungie put together a neat little slideshow, a couple interviews, some music and some concept art. A lot of it looks neat. We don't know much, but I'm intrigued.

Why is the very existence of a preorder prompting multiple responses of "I'm not sold yet"? Good for you-- who cares?

Gaming sites are quick to pounce on leaks and slather their watermarks all over them-- and when the developer responds a short while later with some very preliminary stuff, it gets labeled "hype" because they don't throw the doors open and let us see everything?

Good grief.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread