Ars Technica not sold on Destiny... yet.

by HawaiianPig, Monday, February 18, 2013, 21:14 (4076 days ago) @ narcogen

Why is the very existence of a preorder prompting multiple responses of "I'm not sold yet"? Good for you-- who cares?

Well this is the first official "announcement" related to the game. Traditionally these involve some kind of teaser or trailer upon which everyone can speculate.

Instead, Bungie released a ViDoc. While that satiates the initiated, it doesn't come across as exciting to the rest of the game industry.

Honestly, I found it an odd choice to do a reveal with a ViDoc... Everyone knows by now that your reveal needs to be "epic" or at least cryptic!

I think Adam Sessler did a great job of summing up what I imagine was the standard journalist experience:

[image]

Truth be told, I have to agree with most gaming news outlets on this. I don't really know how to feel. I think the crux of this whole being "sold" rhetoric stems from the fact that no one really knows how to feel.

No one is willing to say it's "good", nor is anyone willing to say it's "bad". Gaming sites make their bread and butter on being able to make definitive statements on the quality of something... "The Halo trailer was awesome! Read on to find out why!" -- "The Wii U is shit! Read on to find out what went wrong!"

With Destiny it's... just there.

And quite frankly, the gist of this information was "there" a year ago. We have a few more details, but otherwise, we're not sure what to expect. Okay it's some kind of MMO but we're not calling it that. Okay it has some phone integration. Okay there are some player classes.

What will the player be doing exactly?

Maybe I missed the train on that one, but it seems like Ars did too. Time to play the wait-and-see game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread